Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cream of Potato Soup

I found this in a family cookbook called Recipes to Remember from Grandma Norman & Family. It was given to me as a Christmas present when I worked for an insurance agency year ago. This is the first recipe I've tried out of it, and now I think I'll try others.
****
BTW, I took liberties with this recipe, as I usually do which I'll put in parentheses.

Makes approx. 5 cups

2 c. cubed, peeled potatoes
1/4 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped onion
(1/4 c. chopped carrots)
1 T. parsley flakes
1/2 t. salt (instead of this I used about 1 T. chicken bullion)
1/8 t. pepper
Put in soup pan and cover with 2 c. water - bring to boil until tender. Do not drain.

While veggies are softening, bring the following to a boil until thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk.
2 c. milk - thickened with 4 T. butter and 4 T. flour

Once veggies are soft and cream sauce is made, combine and add:
1 c. cream
(1/2 c. frozen or canned corn)
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled

Mine turned out really thick, just the way my husband likes it, so you could possibly add more water and bullion to taste.

No comments: